Friday, July 9, 2010

southwest wildlife

We are now in Descanso, which in Spanish means 'a place of rest.' Aptly named, as we have just spent the past day climbing through the Laguna Mountains in Cleveland National Forest. Despite a hot and arid climate, wildlife is abundant. A roadside pause allows us to soak in the sounds. We have been most impressed by the sound of bugs. In the quiet of the desert, we can hear thousands of insects buzzing about, enjoying offerings from colorful flowers. Although we can hear the bugs, we don't see too many and are not at all bothered by their presence.

At the turn off from Otay Lake Road to Lions Valley Road, we saw a woodpecker hammering away at a power line pole. Today's review of the Audobon Field Guide reveals that it may have been a Ladder-backed Woodpecker. They inhabit the southwest and markings include a red head and spotted back. Originally I was guessing it might be a Downy Woodpecker, but those are not prevalent in the southwest.

Last night, I found a large toad. I spotted it with my headlamp. It was fully aware of my footsteps sneaking closer, but apparently was too cold to escape. Temperature last night dropped from 90 down to 55 degrees. I easily captured the toad in my hands and anticipated that it would pee on me, but its body was cool and instead I think it rather enjoyed a few moments in my warm hands.

This morning, we were greeted by hummingbirds flitting about in the flowers and bushes. I have never seen so many hummingbirds. One even approached Gordon and hovered only inches away from his face in a splendid goodmorning greeting.

Much of the wildlife is enjoyable, yet we are still on our toes in anticipation for something a bit more ferocious. Yesterday, a librarian with the bookmobile shared news that he had recently seen a mountain lion. A few days ago, I rode by a small black and yellow ringed snake. Rattlesnakes and bears are also present in some areas. We intend to take a cautious approach to campsite selection, but we eagerly look forward to the possibilty of rattlesnake stew. Presently, we're off to Julian to try out a more tame local specialty: apple pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment